Bikaji ki Tekri
Bikaji Ki Tekri, the city's original fort, is one of the top Bikaner tourist attractions. This is the oldest building in Bikaner, having been built by Rao Bika roughly 500 years ago. The construction is fascinating, with red sandstone or Dulmera stone forming a significant portion of the fort. If you go down to the basement, you'll find yourself in a room-by-room puzzle.
Bikaner is a city that encapsulates the essence of the country, from its history and culture to its traditions, adventures, and cuisine. With its captivating masterpiece of architecture, it is seen to be both a cultural utopia and a Paradise for visitors. The place's illustrious past will astound you, and you'll be transported back in time to discover more about the regal age.
You could spend time seeing some of the best tourist attractions in Bikaner, such as Junagarh Fort, which is known for its perfect blend of Mughal and Gujarati architecture, Lalgarh Palace, which transports you to the lap of luxury, Laxmi Niwas Palace, which is the former abode of Maharaja Ganga Singh, and Gajner Palace & Wildlife Sanctuary.
Bikaner offers a diverse range of activities for you to enjoy throughout your stay. Attending the famous Camel Festival, shopping your heart out at Kote Gate, taking a tour of the majestic Junagarh Fort, seeing the popular Karni Mata Temple, witnessing the splendour of the Lalgarh Palace, enjoying a camel safari in the Thar, relishing the taste of the local cuisines are just a few of the thrilling and offbeat activities you may partake in during your visit.
Q: How to reach Bikaner?
- By Air: The nearest airport from Bikaner is Jodhpur airport which is located at a distance of 251 km. Once you arrive at the airport, you can book a taxi to reach your destination in Bikaner.
- By Road: Bikaner has got very well-connected road connectivity with all other parts of Rajasthan. You will get buses operated by the state government in regular intervals from Delhi, Agra, Ajmer, Ahmedabad, Kota, Jaipur, and Jodhpur.
Q: Is Bikaner worth visiting?
Yes, Bikaner is definitely worth visiting because of its heritage sites, beautiful palaces, majestic forts, thrilling camel safari tour, and exciting marketplaces to shop local handicrafts.
Bikaner happens to be one of the vibrant cities of Rajasthan that has got its own uniqueness in everything starting from its cuisine to its architectural marvels.
Q: What is the best time to visit Bikaner?
The city, due to its proximity to the desert, remains dry and hot almost all through the year. Typically, the desert area does cool down towards the evening, so nights are more pleasant and cooler than the days. The best time to go to Bikaner is from October to March, which is the winter season here.
Although the monsoons are also a good time to visit the city, the summers should be avoided if possible. Not only are the summers a lot hotter, but they also experience a lot of dust storms during this season, so make sure to take necessary precautions when venturing out during the day.
Q: Which are the famous forts and palaces in Bikaner?
1. Junagarh Fort: Junagarh fort offers visitors to witness a perfect blend of Mughal and Gujarati architecture. This age-old fort nestles in the middle of alluring natural beauty offering breathtaking sights for photographers and nature lovers.
2. Lalgarh Palace: In The Lap Of Luxury: Lalagarh palace is yet another beautiful palace of the bygone era that redefines your definition of luxury comfort. A part of the hotel is converted into a luxury modern hotel that offers royal hospitality to visitors from all over the world. The palace is home to a number of museums and mahals.
3. Laxmi Niwas Palace: Being the former abode of Maharaja Ganga Singhji, this palace is definitely worth a visit because of its brilliant architecture created by British architect Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob between 1898 and 1902.
4. Gajner Palace & Wildlife Sanctuary: Situated on the banks of Gajner Lake, the palace can be surely considered as an architectural treat for history lovers. As it is located in the middle of the dense forest, you will every so often see migratory birds at this property.
Q: What is the famous food of Bikaner?
Here are some of the famous food of Bikaner that you must not forget to taste during your visit:
- Bikaneri Bhujia
- Kesar Fini
- Gatte Ki Sabzi
- Rajasthani Thali
- Laal Maas
Q: How far is Bikaner from Jaipur?
The distance between Bikaner from Jaipur is about 335 km via NH 52 and NH 11. It would take about 5 hour and 40 minutes to cover the distance between the two places.
Q: Does Bikaner have sand dunes?
Yes, Bikaner has also got its share of sand dunes from the great Thar Desert where tourists head out to explore the wilderness and make ever cherishable memories along with their loved ones.
Q: What are the best places to visit in Bikaner?
1. Junagarh Fort: Junagarh fort in Bikaner is known for its beautiful blend of Gujarati and Mughal architectural design that will wave your mind. The Fort of Junagarh stands as a testament to a number of tales of the past era.
It is a one of its kind fort that nestles in the middle of a picturesque setting offering breathtaking views to nature lovers as well as avid photographers. Inside the Junagarh fort, you will come across Har Mandir, Karan Mahal, Anup Mahal, and Chandra Mahal. All these palaces can be considered as a fine example of royal luxury. The fort is also home to a small museum that preserves the important relics of the bygone era.
Location: Junagarh Fort Road, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
Timings: Open all days of the week; 10 am – 5 pm.
2. Lalgarh Palace: Lalgarh Palace literally takes you in the lap of luxury. This happens to be a beautifully built palace with red sandstone. The architectural design of the structure puts in a perfect blend of various wonderful designs namely Mughal, Rajputana, and European Style.
The Lalgarh Palace in Bikaner was commissioned by Maharaja Ganga Singh between 1902 and 1926 in memory of Maharaja Lal Singh, who happened to be his beloved father. However, later it was converted into a hotel named Lalgarh Palace Hotel.
Tourists from all over the world visit this place and book a stay to enjoy the regal luxury and indulge in the rich traditional and cultural values of Rajasthan. The palace houses Sadul Museum, Ganga Golden Jubilee Museum, and Lalgarh palace hotel.
Location: NH15, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
Timings: Monday – Saturday; 10 am – 5:30 pm.
3. Laxmi Niwas Palace: Laxmi Niwas Palace happens to be the abode of the Maharaja Ganga Singh which was constructed between 1898 and 1902. The palace is built in an Indo Saracenic Style by one of the famous British architects Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob.
The red sandstone palace stands tall in Bikaner offering the visitors loads of insights about the bygone era. The beauty of the palace is enough to keep you spellbound. At the present time, a part of it has been converted into a luxury hotel where guests from all over the world come in their holiday vacation to relish the royal hospitality of Rajasthan.
Location: Lal Garh Campus, Dr. Karni Singhji Road, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
4. Jain Temple Bhandasar: Jain Temple Bhandasar is popularly called the Red & White wonder because of the use of red and white sandstone. The Jain Temple of Bhandasar in Bikaner is dedicated to the Lord Sumathinath who is the fifth Tirthankara of Jainism.
You will be impressed by the fine architectural design of the temple that uses the perfect blend of white and red sandstone with a fine gold layer finishing. You will literally love to spend time here witnessing such beautiful artisanship.
Location: Old Bikaner, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
Timings: Open all days of the week; 5 am – 1 pm and 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm.
5. Shri Laxminath Temple: Shri Laxminath temple in Bikaner happens to be one of the oldest places of worship. The main attraction of this temple is its intricate silver artwork and beautiful idols of various deities. Tourists flock to this place of worship during the celebration of various Hindu festivals such as Janmashtami, Ram Navami, and Diwali.
Location: Vaidya Mangharam Colony, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334004.
Timings: Open all days of the week; 5 am – 1 pm and 5 pm – 11 pm.
6. Kote Gate: Kote Gate is believed to be a paradise for shoppers as it is home to a wide variety of shops dealing with varieties of local handicraft items. The Gate is also the point of separation of the old and new city. Every tourist coming over to Bikaner spends time at these marketplaces to purchase utensils, artifacts made of camel hide, handicrafts, open-toed shoes, and traditional clothes.
Location: Kote Gate, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334001.
Timings: 6 AM to 10 PM.
7. Thar Desert: Visiting Rajasthan is on no occasion complete without taking a camel safari tour on the sand dunes of the great Thar Desert.
On a trip to Bikaner, you would get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore and marvel at the wilderness Thar Desert along with your loved ones. You can also be getting a chance to capture the mesmerizing views of the sand ocean. This is surely going to be a great experience that you will cherish all through your life.
Location: Opposite Gopeshwar Temple, Gangashahar, Bikaner, 334001, Rajasthan.
8. National Research Centre On Camel: The National Research Centre on Camel is a must-visit place where you will get to know more about the ship of Desert Camel. The center is home to more than 230 camels of three different breeds.
Visiting the center, one would be able to learn about the facilities and techniques used to grow these animals. There is a small museum inside the center as well as a milking center where you can taste some samples of milk or lassis made from milk.
Location: Jodhpur Bypass, Bikaner, Rajasthan 334022.
Timings: 12 pm – 6 pm.
Q: What are the best places for shopping in Bikaner?
1. Kote Gate: Kote Gate is the main shopping destination of Bikaner that is visited by locals and visitors in search of brilliant pieces of works. You will get handicrafts, traditional clothes, utensils, artifacts made of Camel hide, or traditional open-toed shoes at this place.
2. Station Road: Station Road is also known as one of the best places to shop handicraft items like Embroidered footwear, fabrics, leather goods, and traditional artifacts. You can also purchase miniature artworks from this place.
3. MG Road: MG Road is yet another famous destination for shopping in Bikaner where you can get to buy ethnic wear, georgette, and chiffon sarees at competitive market prices.
Q: What are the best things to do in Bikaner?
1. Attend the famous Camel Festival: The Camel Festival is surely one of the best things that you can witness in the course of your visit to Bikaner. The city of Bikaner has got a wide range of experience stored for you during the camel festival, which is organized in January every single year.
The camels are decorated with loads of colorful attire and they appear just amazing. The actual intention behind this camel fair was to attract the camel and cattle traders to carry out their business in the course of the Kartik Purnima Festival in the times gone by. The festival is organized around the full moon time in the Hindu Lunar Month of Kartik.
Location: Bikaner, Rajasthan.
2. Shop your heart out at Kote Gate: Kote gate happens to be a popular shopping destination for visitors coming over to Bikaner from various parts of the world. Being a paradise for shopaholics, you will get to shop a wide range of local handicraft items and camel hide articles. If you are good at bargaining then it is very likely that you will be able to crack some wonderful deals with the sellers.
Location: Kote Gate, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
3. Take a tour of the majestic Junagarh Fort: Junagarh fort is an example of rich craftsmanship of the bygone era and visiting it would be the best experience for you. The impeccable architectural design on the red sandstone will leave you spellbound and take you back in the memory lane to the days when Bikaner happened to be ruled by the Royal Families.
Location: Junagarh Fort Road, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
Timings: Open on all the days from 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
4. Visit the popular Karni Mata Temple: Karni Mata Temple is one of the most famous places of worship in Bikaner that is visited by zillions of devotees all through the year. The temple is home to about 25000 rats and it is considered to be holy by the locals.
The temple creates an intriguing sight for both locals and visitors from various parts of the world. Come over to this place, offer some food to the rats, offer prayers in front of the deities, and seek blessings for yourself and your loved ones.
Location: Karni Mata Niji Pranyas, Deshnok, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
Timings: Open on all the days from 4:30 AM to 10:00 PM.
5. Witness the splendor of the Lalgarh Palace: Lalgarh palace is one of the most sought-after heritage destinations of Bikaner because of its impressive design elements and royal grandeur. This is considered to be one of the finest architectural wonders in Bikaner that will make a mark in your heart.
The palace was constructed by the Maharajas of Bikaner in the bygone era and was used as a royal residence. At present time, you will not only witness the royalty and history of Bikaner, but you will also get a chance to enjoy luxury stays and relish a wide range of authentic Rajasthani food.
Location: NH15, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
Timings: Open on all the days from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, except every Sunday.
6. Enjoy a camel safari in the Thar: Camel safari in the great Thar Desert is something that everyone must look forward to indulging in the course of their visit to Bikaner.
You will board the ship of desert, camel and head out on an exploration tour through the sandy terrains exploring various significant attractions. You will surely fall in love with the safari tour as you will also get a chance to indulge in some of the camping activities like bonfire and barbeque.
Timings: The joy of safari can be experienced at any time from morning till night.
7. Relish the taste of the local cuisines: Bikaner is known for its delectable cuisine that keeps it separate from everything. During your visit to the city, you must not forget to try out the delicious Rajasthani food.
You must take small breaks in the middle of your exploration schedule to taste some of the authentic local delicacies. The taste and the flavor will surely be a treat for your taste buds. You must not forget to try out Dal Bati Churma, Gatte ki Sabzi, Kachori, Ghevar, Pakodi, Raj Bhog, Khata, fini, and many others.
Location: Heeralal, Gallops, Chappan Bhog, and more.
8. Experience utmost luxury at the Laxmi Vilas Palace: Laxmi Vilas palace happens to be a 5-star property that provides the guest with royal hospitality.
In the course of your trip to Bikaner, you can taste the luxury of the palace in its heritage hotel. Apart from relishing the regal luxury, you can also indulge in some of the fun-filled activities at the resort as well as spend time in the in-house spa taking treatments from the experts.
Location: Lalgarh campus, Doctor Karni Singhji Road, Samta Nagar, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
- Top Attractions Delhi
- Top Attractions Ahmedabad
- Top Attractions Mathura
- Top Attractions Agra
- Top Attractions Manali
- Top Attractions Pushkar
- Top Attractions Chitrakoot
- Top Attractions Khajuraho
- Top Attractions Chandigarh
- Top Attractions Aurangabad
- Top Attractions Chennai (Madras)
- Top Attractions Amritsar
- Top Attractions Chennai
- Top Attractions Coorg
- Top Attractions Wagha border
- Top Attractions Haridwar
- Top Attractions Darjeeling
- Top Attractions Guwahati
- Top Attractions Bodhgaya
- Top Attractions Jaipur
- Top Attractions Dharamshala
- Top Attractions Dehradun
- Top Attractions Bhainsrorgarh
- Top Attractions Jaisalmer
- Top Attractions Jodhpur
- Top Attractions Mumbai
- Top Attractions Bhubhaneshwar
- Top Attractions Madurai
- Top Attractions Rishikesh
- Top Attractions Kolkata
- Top Attractions Bangalore
- Top Attractions Bandhavgarh national park
- Top Attractions Kochi
- Top Attractions Gwalior
- Top Attractions Corbett
- Top Attractions Ayodhya
- Top Attractions Srinagar
- Top Attractions Andaman and Nicobar
- Top Attractions Varanasi
- Top Attractions Uttarkashi
- Top Attractions Thrissur
- Top Attractions Puducherry
- Top Attractions Goa
- Top Attractions Dharmshala